BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Idle temperature  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Pro
  • Bike: BMW F850GS
  • Town / City: Białystok
Idle temperature
« on: May 18, 2021, 03.19 PM »
I noticed today (a 22C with overcast skies) that my bike's radiator fan turned on while waiting at the lights after medium to low intensity driving with my son on the back. I had the ESA set up for passenger and luggage (smallish kid). My idle temperature crossed, for a brief moment, 100C and stayed above 90-92C. While on the move it fluttered between 84-86C.

The last time I remember the bike getting up to 100C was when I was taking it through sand in 28C sunny weather, so today's temp climb is somewhat irking me.

You guys have any similar experiences? Or maybe I simply noticed this for the first time today and it's always been like this... :084:
As for the fear of falling...learn to love and cherish the experience. You want it. You need it. You can't wait for the next hit.

Offline abdullah

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS, G310R
  • Town / City: Khalidya
Re: Idle temperature
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 04.55 PM »
i think its normal

i am from kuwait our tempreture on avrage between 29 to 46 c these month and i have smiller situation and i think its normal

and its also depent how do you use bike if you rev or put engine to load the tempreture will increase

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 07.55 PM »
Perfectly normal. When stopped the radiator has no airflow so no cooling, and it doesn’t take long to reach the fan temp threshold. Mine does it when temps start to get warm (20C up) - obviously the hotter it gets, the more the fan runs.

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Pro
  • Bike: BMW F850GS
  • Town / City: Białystok
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 08.26 PM »
I guess I don't stop much, or simply ignored it and this light was longer than my usually stop  :001:
As for the fear of falling...learn to love and cherish the experience. You want it. You need it. You can't wait for the next hit.

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Bellingham
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 12.47 PM »
180 or 190 sometimes, i forget if this is reading in celsius or fahrenheit. I'm assuming F.

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 12.36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Newguy [+]
180 or 190 sometimes, i forget if this is reading in celsius or fahrenheit. I'm assuming F.

100 degrees C is the boiling point of water at sea level which is 212 Degrees F...
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline jequ

• GS Member
  • Bike: F 850 GS
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 04.23 PM »
This is normal.

Boiling point of the water/glycol coolant mix is higher than just water alone.
Increased pressure inside the loop also increases the boiling point of the coolant.

If the radiator fan works, then the coolant will not be able to get to high enough temperatures to start causing problems (120-130 degrees of celsius)
There is also a pressure relief valve somewhere in the loop in case this would happen.