BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Fitting OEM LED Aux Lights experience.  (Read 1084 times)

Offline KJD

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: GS 850 sport
  • Town / City: Durham
Fitting OEM LED Aux Lights experience.
« on: May 08, 2021, 11:16:54 AM »
For those that are considering DIY fitting of BMW OEM LED spotlights here is my experience.

The whole package arrived in 1 box, part No. BM-77. 51. 5. A2A. 478, includes 2 x LED spotlights, mounting bracket, mirror mount switch, wiring harness with connectors, hardware etc. There was no installation instruction sheet and the best I could find was a posting from SnoDrtRider on this forum. (Thank you very much).

Access to the existing 4 torx bolts which hold the bracket is "challenging" without removing any of the fairing or headlight mounting  panels but with perseverance and an array of 1/4 drive extension bars including a universal joint it can be done. (I did remove the half plastic fan disc under the steering damper.)

OK bracket now mounted and secure. After mounting the switch and routing that wiring next was finding the existing power take off connector block in the bikes wiring harness which is located under the front panel on the left, trying to detach the connector block (which is only a blank protector) so you can then detach the small block with the original wiring proved another head scratcher, however I discovered it is secured by a little plastic housing with a spring clip and by gently pulling it in a horizontal direction backwards, i.e. towards the back of the bike it releases then you can release the plug ready to go into the provided new connector and LED's wiring harness.

From there it is relatively easy to secure everything back, connect the switch wiring block, mount and plug in left and right LED lights, route and cable tie the wiring, being careful to make sure all is very secure, nothing fouls the movement of handlebars or steering damper.

When done the whole job and lights do look neat as if fitted from the factory. Bike is now booked into the local dealer for them to let the computer know the LED lights are present (I have to wait nearly a week for an appointment) and then, hopefully fingers crossed, all will be well.

Cheers

Offline KJD

• GS Junior Member
Re: Fitting OEM LED Aux Lights experience.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 11:29:36 AM »
The final chapter....

Bike to the dealer as per appointment.

I was of the thinking that the dealer will plug into the bikes software to tell the computer that the new aux LED lights are now present, should take about 30 mins and I would just wait for it to be complete ........Wrong!.... 5 hours later they were done.

When I asked why so long the reply was they have to do a full update of the software and that's how long it takes. During the process I kept going in to enquire on progress and was informed that the program was showing that it had 1 min left to run but that was 20 mins ago ??.  Finally after 5 hours it was complete and all was well - new lights, switch and new indicator on the TFT all functional.

Is this normal ? I'm pretty sure it did not take 5 hours to load the program at the factory.

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 01:55:56 PM »
All updates are done over the internet so if the speeds are slow it will take longer. Depends on the connection speed at the dealer. Sounds like you received a full update which is good. They normally take about 3 hours.
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline GSMartin

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS Sport
  • Town / City: Hambleton
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 08:59:14 PM »
Same here when I had my lights activated, software upgrade first. I was told it downloaded slowly so it did not crash :164:

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Bellingham
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 03:53:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by GSMartin [+]
Same here when I had my lights activated, software upgrade first. I was told it downloaded slowly so it did not crash :164:
:008: :008: :745: There is no way it takes more than 30 mins to do this, i've had some dealers tell me some real bullsh#t stories before but that one is definitely all time top 5.
That software is not that big, I sometimes have to update the GS911, it's kind of slow but not bad. Something's not right about this, it sounds like the dealer knows 0 functional facts about computers.
Reminds me of a politician who is a member of the state senate that makes decisions on legislature regarding technology 'I'll let you know what I think about that when I actually learn how to log into my email'... If you think that is one rare character in politics, you'd be shockingly dissapointed on the high number of them that are technophobes but are expected to make intelligent decisions on things they don't understand.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 04:00:56 PM by Newguy »

Offline KJD

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 08:30:33 PM »
I tend to agree with Newguy......!

I cant see German engineering designing or accepting this kind of technological inefficiency.
Bet the local motorrad dealer in say Frankfurt doesn't take as long.

Any German commentators out there ?

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Bellingham
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 10:31:27 AM »
I would be interested to know how it is in other countries too but my method of activating lights is to run wires and plug it in, activate it! :D

Now the wiring and routing stuff could take me a few hours at least, the internals of this bike are new to me so maybe they are quoting for wiring too.
If you use a canbus hack or compatible canbus augmentor it could lessen your installation woes.

Offline Si_Burnout

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Sint-Niklaas
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 12:16:50 PM »
I live in Belgium and my last software upgrade took more than 3 hours. It is a really slow system. The tft is great but is has a slow and stable memory chip.

Offline Yorks_Rider

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 08:46:57 PM »
German commentator here. From what I have read in the German forums, there are also plenty of comments about the length of time needed for software updates, so I doubt that the German dealers are indeed quicker.
It might also be due to the time of year, since the riding season is mainly April to October and the workshops are often booked out weeks in advance at this time.

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 12:50:41 AM »
The software (firmware?) updates are not only for the connectivity/accessories activation but also effect emissions and safety systems so I would assume that the update is checked and checked again as it is being installed and after. There are lots of government agencies involved no doubt. Remember the VW snafu where the software changed the fueling of the TDI diesels to allow them to pass emissions testing while connected to the testing equipment?
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...