BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Givi Outback trekker 42 and mounting hardware review/overview  (Read 782 times)

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Pro
  • Bike: BMW F850GS
  • Town / City: Białystok
After much debate, I decided on a GIVI Outback Trekker 42l aluminum topcase and mounting hardware instead of going with the plastic vario top case.
I figured I prefer the look and durability of the aluminum
Price-wise they were damn near close
I've heard reports of the vario mechanism getting sluggish
My original bmw aluminum rack had an ever so slight bend in it at the wing tips that prevented the vario case from mounting.

So I got this in the 42 litre version. I think the 42 looks just right and not a 'trunk' on the back. I chose silver over black so it doesn't heat up in the sun (maybe inconsequential?)

The product codes: Givi Outback Trekker 42l topcase (GIOBKN42A) with Givi mounting plate (SRA5127).
I mounted it to my F850GS which had the original BMW aluminum passenger grabrails.

The mounting hardware is bolted into the rearest vario insert and one of the bolt points for the grabrail.

This puts the top plates/braces above the original BMW aluminum plate and plastic cover.

There are spacers/inserts which lift the plates/braces above the original BMW plastic cover. Note the right and left braces/plates are mounted to the support brackets to a forward point and rear point** (as seen on the right side of the photo). The three chamfered holes are screw points that attach the mounting plates/brackets to the BMW aluminum plate and plastic cover.

After attaching the actual GIVI top plate (silver) there was a significant bend in the plate which didn't allow the top case to mount properly (couldn't get it to click)...also I have no idea how to rotate pics and the automatic uploader tool constantly kept rotating my photo when uploading.

To solve this bend I placed 2x 2-3mm washers under the forward mounting point for the top plates/braces (between the black support bracket and top black plate) which straightened the GIVI silver mounting plate out**(see stars above).

I went on to try to attach the backrests but...

The proper backrest with cutouts for the strap mounting points should be OBKN42 [V.2018] (code GIVI E173)
The incorrect backrest with no cutouts are for the older version of this case (code GIVI E157).

Also, the Kappa mesh E168K fits the case and is not the same mesh diameters as for the larger versions of the Outback Trekker Case.

The opening/locking mechanism/latch is quite secure, easy to manipulate with gloves for both opening the lid and removing the topcase. The key opens both the case top and the locking mechanism to the GIVI plate. The key can only be taken out in the 'locked' position. You can 'lock' the mechanism without the latch actually holding the lid. When locked, the latch cannot attach to the lid to lock it. You have to open the mechanism, engage the latch, then lock it.

It came with a foam 'floor', which was a nice touch to even out the bottom.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 04:48:22 PM by Grizzlie »
As for the fear of falling...learn to love and cherish the experience. You want it. You need it. You can't wait for the next hit.

Online tomcat

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Sport.
  • Town / City: Gisburn
Re: Givi Outback trekker 42 and mounting hardware review/overview
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 04:54:20 PM »
You do know the lock on the Givi case can be amended to use the BMW bike key, don't you?
If it aint broke, keep fixing it until it is!

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Pro
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 05:22:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by tomcat [+]
You do know the lock on the Givi case can be amended to use the BMW bike key, don't you?

NO, I do not! That's awesome. How does this work? Lock replacement by BMW? ...maybe even pin rearrangement?
As for the fear of falling...learn to love and cherish the experience. You want it. You need it. You can't wait for the next hit.

Online tomcat

• GS Pro
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 05:30:05 PM »
There are instructional videos on you tube and plenty of info on a google search.
I was lucky. My friend  is a locksmith and amended the lock internals on the Givi lock barrels on my panniers and top box to match the BMW key.
It took him about 5-10 minutes to arrange the first lock, whilst he wrote down some notes. The next two took no more than 2 minutes each.
No additional purchases are required, simply the rearranging of the internal leaves of the barrel.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 05:32:11 PM by tomcat »

Online tomcat

• GS Pro

Offline WorldCitizen

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS Rallye
  • Town / City: Palmela
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 08:50:37 AM »
So the BMW plate is needed to mount other top cases?

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Pro
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 01:16:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by WorldCitizen [+]
So the BMW plate is needed to mount other top cases?

The support hardware and brackets will all line up without that plastic BMW toppiece, it looks to be a filler that adds rigidity. Whether it's 100% totally necessary, I'm not sure. Seems to be that a piece of plexi or some other plastic would fill the space nicely and just as well.

Offline MIKE R

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Burnley
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 02:12:50 PM »
Grizzle, I had exactly the same problem with my Givi mounting plate.....the Outback top box would not lock on the bike

I discovered, however, that the box would mount to the plate when the plate was removed from the bike

In the Givi install instructions it does not give any torque values for mounting the plate to the black 'scaffolding'.  The mount had been installed by the dealer and all the bolts mounting the plate to the black scaffolding were VERY tight

I gradually untighted the plate mounting bolts from VERY tight to FAIRLY tight.  The plate is still secure and I do not think loosening the mounting bolts slightly will be a problem as Givi provide lock nuts.  Still, we shouldn't have to do this and my first top box install took about 3 hours (taking the plate on and off to try different solutions) rather than 30 seconds!

I'm also interested in your solution.  Did you place your washers on the bolts between the mounting pins (ie close to the seat) or the bolts nesr the locking brackets (ie at the rear of the bike)?

Best Wishes

Mike

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Pro
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 03:29:56 PM »
I blame the tightness on the fact that I had pannier racks installed which may have created an ever so misalignment as the instruction for the rack don't take into account other panniers than GIVI.

There's a black support bar that runs back-to-front and is attached to supporting metal pieces that themselves attach to the pannier mounts and OEM rack mount. I put a washer under the front-most hole so the topbar rests on the washer which is then on the attachement place underneath. The 4th from last pic shows the two black attachment points. (not the holes for attaching to the OEM plastic mount.). I used the same amount of tightness on those lock nuts but the washers helped keep the plate straight.

Offline MIKE R

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Burnley
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 10:50:16 PM »
 :028:
Many thanks

Mike