BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Tyre Talk  (Read 346 times)

Offline BoyBiker

• GS Member
  • Bike: BMW F759GS
  • Town / City: Malaysia
Tyre Talk
« on: April 30, 2021, 04:15:39 AM »
I often hear people saying things like, "I get better feedback from the new tyres I just fitted". What do they mean?

Offline MattR

• Forum Help and Support
  • GS Pro
  • Town / City: Bristol
Re: Tyre Talk
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 08:21:26 AM »
Topic moved to "Tyres" board  :038:

Offline Yorks_Rider

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 08:40:32 AM »
I would say it means that the behaviour of the tyre is more predictable to the rider.
For example, when you give a steering impulse to take a curve, the bike very accurately follows the radius you expect and does not feel vague.
Also it means that when your tyres are approaching the limit of their grip, this happens gradually and predictably to the rider via the tyre's behaviour and that there is not an abrupt and unexpected transition from grip to no grip.

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 11:19:21 PM »
Tyres square off, particularly the rear and most often when you’ve ridden a lot on motorways. Therefore you end up with an abrupt shift between bike upright and leaned over - which is the feeling of the bike wanting to tip into corners and lacking confidence in the wet. Forums are full of people stating that their new tyres (different model) have so much more grip than their old (worn out) tyres. To me, most tyres are pretty good and as I’m not Marc Marquez I’m happy to stick with whatever name brands are in stock.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 11:20:40 PM by Matty589 »

Online Grizzlie

• GS Member
  • Bike: BMW F850GS
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 03:24:55 PM »
If it's worn tires vs new tires, then the shape of the tires would allow the rider more predictability in turns of corning as there should be no abrupt leaning/straightening seen with older, worn tires. Same thing with braking distance, newer tires (but 'broken in') should allow for better grip and more confidence in braking.

In regards to 'new tires', as in I got "tires different form the last set" (thus the 'new' tires), it could be everything from wall hardness to general shape and tread patterns also affecting turning/leaning, braking, straight line driving, wet weather riding (that squirmy feeling you sometimes feel when 'cutting through' the water).

And let's not forget the placebo effect :D
As for the fear of falling...learn to love and cherish the experience. You want it. You need it. You can't wait for the next hit.

Offline GSArt

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Denver
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 01:20:44 PM »
I find brand new tires especially 50/50 tires needs a break in.   Even the Dunlop Missions required a break-in.  After about 100-200 miles they get sticky and work great.  As stated above as the tires wear they square off and then there is usually a noticeable "drop-in" from straight up to leaned over.  Also in some cases depending on how many seasons old your tires are and how hot they get, they will lose some of their oil and get harder so they don't tend to grip as well on asphalt...

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 12:06:02 AM »
Yep ALL tires require a "Break In" even knobbies on dirt bikes will shear off knobs if abused too soon... Knobbies usually take 50 miles to break in before you can thrash them. Street tires a bit more.
I helped a buddy at his shop occasionally a few years ago and I was standing there when he cautioned a rider who was picking up a bike with new tires on a crotch rocket to "Go easy for 100 miles or so or you will end up on your ass"

The guy is all hyped up and pulls out. Nails the throttle and ends up spinning the bike around in the middle of the highway and dumps it.... Some things you just cannot fix and stupid is one of them...
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...