BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: F850GS Adventure - Touring Screen - which one?  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Pro
  • Bike: BMW F850GS
  • Town / City: Białystok
Re: F850GS Adventure - Touring Screen - which one?
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 06:28:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by GSAbumblebee [+]
Have asked Nippynormans and they are ordering me in a Wunderlich touring screen.  Money back if I am Not happy.

Seems thereís loads of screens for the GS, very few for the GSA....

Happy to guinea pig and will report back. 

(Also bought a TFT screen security thing - the suggestion is they are easy to nick)

Money back even after install and test ride?
As for the fear of falling...learn to love and cherish the experience. You want it. You need it. You can't wait for the next hit.

Offline GSAbumblebee

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Lahndan Tahn
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 09:09:28 AM »
Apparently.

Letís hope I donít need to test that theory!

Hopefully due for the End of May bank holiday trip.  Should have been a dash into Europe.  And great food, beer and different culture.Will be a trip to Torquay,  so it will at least be a different culture.   I am desperate not to have to fight the A303 so will be good if on a quiet bike and music on.  Should save 90minutes to two hours on the way back to M25 land.

Offline purds

• GS Member
  • Town / City: PETERBOROUGH
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 05:11:33 PM »
Apparently.

Letís hope I donít need to test that theory!

Hopefully due for the End of May bank holiday trip.  Should have been a dash into Europe.  And great food, beer and different culture.Will be a trip to Torquay,  so it will at least be a different culture.   I am desperate not to have to fight the A303 so will be good if on a quiet bike and music on.  Should save 90minutes to two hours on the way back to M25 land.

Know how you feel - we had big Eastern European trip planned for June 20 which obviously didnít happen. Postponed to June 21 and scuppered again. Now doing Scottish trip instead - my first one since changing my 1200GSA for an 850 GSA 😁

Online Oldplodder

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850 GS Sport + bits
  • Town / City: Buckley
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 05:17:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by purds [+]
Now doing Scottish trip instead - my first one since changing my 1200GSA for an 850 GSA 😁

From all the forums I read (too many!) you will not be alone - 0% chance of that!!

Dave T
I wish I was as good as my dog thinks I am

Offline GSAbumblebee

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Lahndan Tahn
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2021, 08:10:32 PM »
So it arrived.  Ridiculously well packed from nippy normans.

Bought the anti theft screen protector as wel.

Parts came off fairly easily
Parts went on fairly easily
Parts fitted
Wunderlich Parts and the welsh named theft thing  look and feel high quality

All a surprise given my experiences with aftermarket parts.   And a pleasant one.

Not ridden it yet as weather awful.  Will report back  when Iíve had chance to ride it !

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Pro
  • Bike: BMW F850GS
  • Town / City: Białystok
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2021, 09:30:10 PM »
So it arrived.  Ridiculously well packed from nippy normans.

Bought the anti theft screen protector as wel.

Parts came off fairly easily
Parts went on fairly easily
Parts fitted
Wunderlich Parts and the welsh named theft thing  look and feel high quality

All a surprise given my experiences with aftermarket parts.   And a pleasant one.

Not ridden it yet as weather awful.  Will report back  when Iíve had chance to ride it !

Pics or it didn't happen, lol :D
As for the fear of falling...learn to love and cherish the experience. You want it. You need it. You can't wait for the next hit.

Offline GSArt

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Denver
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2021, 02:11:21 PM »
The only ADV bike I didn't have to buy/mess with the windscreen was my 2017 R1200GSA.   Did a great job of providing good airflow with NO buffeting.    With other bikes I did wind up buying all kinds/brands of windscreens till  I found Madstad.  Now if and when I need a windscreen I will go with them. 

So when I wanted more wind protection on my 2021 F850GS, I went with Madstad.

Madstad as I expected and experienced was perfect.  Why?  because if you order the correct height the adjustments makes it easy to find the perfect position.  I get enough airflow to keep me cool without excessive wind noise.  I get NO buffeting at all on with my Arai XD4. It works extremely well....

Offline MCMXCIVRS

• GS Member
  • Town / City: CALGARY
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 03:15:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS [+]
I currently have the WRS screen on mine and am not totally happy with it. I creates a really annoying turbulence that flutters around my helmet. I messed around with reshaping the top edge to not have the kick up and added an extension. The result was a lot better air flow, but it looks like hell.

As such I have ordered a Puig touring screen as it seems to resemble the end result of my modifications. We'll see if it works as hoped.

I've had some time with the new Puig screen and am much happier with the performance of it over the WRS. In the raised position, I get a smooth air flow at about mid helmet level with no more of the buffeting. Even though I look over the screen, it does have much better optic clarity for quick close glances. The WRS had a lot of distortion in it.

Offline mtbenson

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: 2021 F850GS 40th
  • Town / City: Pennsylvania Wilds
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 08:09:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by GSArt [+]
The only ADV bike I didn't have to buy/mess with the windscreen was my 2017 R1200GSA.   Did a great job of providing good airflow with NO buffeting.    With other bikes I did wind up buying all kinds/brands of windscreens till  I found Madstad.  Now if and when I need a windscreen I will go with them. 

So when I wanted more wind protection on my 2021 F850GS, I went with Madstad.

Madstad as I expected and experienced was perfect.  Why?  because if you order the correct height the adjustments makes it easy to find the perfect position.  I get enough airflow to keep me cool without excessive wind noise.  I get NO buffeting at all on with my Arai XD4. It works extremely well....

+1 on the Madstad. I couldn't be happier. I ordered based on the height recommendations on their website. After installation, I experimented until I found the sweet spot with the screen raised about 3/4 inch and angled outward so it just clears the mirrors at full lock (61 or 62 degrees, according to my phone).

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Bellingham
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2021, 11:21:56 PM »
The way people obssess over the windscreen on a naked bike I laugh and think of it like they are saying "OK it's not a Perfect adventure bike fairing until it is this:

:008: