Author Would you change tires  (Read 2849 times)

• Offline Grizzlie   pl

• GS Pro  ‐    161

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Pro
    • No time for mediocrity
    • Bike: BMW F850GS
    • Town / City: Białystok
    Would you change tires
    on: Apr 27, 2021, 05.19 pm
    Apr 27, 2021, 05.19 pm
    I currently have Mitas E07's front/back. For the next 2-3 months I won't be doing any sort of dirt/fire roads/backroads and most likely will be something like 95% asphalt with 4-5 trips each being about 700-800km. My current E07's have about 2500km rougly 50/50 riding and are fairly young.

I'm wondering whether it's worth changing them out for something like Tourances or ContiTrailAttack 3's to save the E07's for when I return to a bit more dirt or should I simply ride them out and then switch to more street tires and eventually when I return to more off road stuff go for something even better/knobbier?

Your thoughts? Would you rather treat the E07's as primarily street tires with [fairly good] off-road capabilities (especially since Brett Tkacs called them the best adv tire)?

• Offline GSArt   us

• GS Member  ‐    24

Offline GSArt

• GS Member
    • Town / City: Denver
    Re: Would you change tires
    Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2021, 12.29 am
    Apr 28, 2021, 12.29 am
    I wouldn't.  I had Mitas E07 Dakars on my heavy Super Tenere and was closing in on 8k miles.  They last a long time.  They work great on pavement too.  So I'd save the cash, wait till your current ones are toast then replace them....  Save you a few bucks

• Offline jequ   fi

• GS Member  ‐    31

Offline jequ

• GS Member
    • Bike: F 850 GS
    Re: Would you change tires
    Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2021, 12.14 pm
    Apr 28, 2021, 12.14 pm
    Sounds like too much of a struggle to change a tyre just based on where I'm driving today :D

Maybe if I had two sets of spoked rims/wheels, one with street oriented rubber and one with offroadish. Swapping them wouldn't take too long. Brakes, chain and axle bolt/nuts.

better