BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: My mods for 2021  (Read 2633 times)

Offline jequ

• GS Member
  • Bike: F 850 GS
My mods for 2021
« on: April 25, 2021, 06:43:02 PM »
Hi,

The weather is slowly warming here in the northern Finland. (not minus celsius anymore)
I'm getting my bike from the winter storage next week and here are my mods for the upcoming driving season, waiting to be installed.
These additions set me back for almost 2000€.   :211: What can I say, if you want to save money don't buy a motorcycle?  :305:

Outbackmotortek crash bars and pannier racks for the F850GS in matte black.
I went with the standard asymmetric set of pannier racks. This way the 38+31 liter bags will probably look optimal on the bike.
https://outbackmotortek.net/product/bmw-f850gs-crash-bars/
https://outbackmotortek.net/product/bmw-f850gs/

Lone Rider MotoBags, BMW F850GS/GSA (38+31L)
Estimated delivery in july and the bags will include the recently introduced quick release system.
https://www.lonerider-motorcycle.com/collections/luggage/products/motobags?variant=31445370077299

My bike looked like this last summer and I 100% sure don't want to tie everything on the bike like this again.
Finding something in the bags forces you to untie/unpack everything.

Touring windscreen and an adjustable holder for it.
https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/bmw-windscreen-touring-set-clear-f750gs-2017-2019-f850gs-2017-2019-f850gs-adventure-2018-2019.html

I'm hoping this will fix my issue of mosquitos slamming straight into my Schuberth C3 visor. Even a small increment, few centimeters to the height of the windshield should help but I won't know for sure until it's installed and I get to drive and test it.

Let me know what you think :)
- jequ

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
Re: My mods for 2021
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 07:48:32 PM »
I recently bought the same adjustable screen mount and the tinted 390mm touring screen, as well as the BMW GPS mount above the TFT. Weather protection won’t be as good as a barn door screen but much less buffeting, it looks much more balanced than a huge screen, and on windy days has less of a “sail” effect. Expensive overall but the best I’ve found so far.

Offline jequ

• GS Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 07:26:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by Matty589 [+]
I recently bought the same adjustable screen mount and the tinted 390mm touring screen, as well as the BMW GPS mount above the TFT. Weather protection won’t be as good as a barn door screen but much less buffeting, it looks much more balanced than a huge screen, and on windy days has less of a “sail” effect. Expensive overall but the best I’ve found so far.
Exactly, I'm not going for a huge screen that I have to look through when standing on the bike  :745:
The adjustability to be able to lower the screen without stopping and the stock/OEM look is why I decided to buy it. It can't be worse than the stock one :)

Offline Dab19850gs

• GS Member
  • Bike: f850gs
  • Town / City: Scugog
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 08:41:49 PM »
I put the Outback crash bars on my f850gs and absolutely love the look and fit of these.  Appear to give good protection without sticking way out.   Did a WRS touring windscreen on mine and happy with it also.

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Pro
  • Bike: BMW F850GS
  • Town / City: Białystok
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 11:12:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dab19850gs [+]
I put the Outback crash bars on my f850gs and absolutely love the look and fit of these.  Appear to give good protection without sticking way out.   Did a WRS touring windscreen on mine and happy with it also.

I'm definitely happy with the protection that the Outback gives...however, I learned the other day that my choices in bash plates are limited. So far I know that the SW-Motech one is not compatible :(
As for the fear of falling...learn to love and cherish the experience. You want it. You need it. You can't wait for the next hit.

Offline Dab19850gs

• GS Member
  • Bike: f850gs
  • Town / City: Scugog
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 01:02:02 AM »
I replaced plastic (ughhh cheap one) one with the BMW aluminum pan.  Its perfect for riding I do with this bike but others that do more aggressive off road /  tarmac driving may want something with even more protection.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 01:02:55 AM by Dab19850gs »

Offline jequ

• GS Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 07:15:17 PM »
This was my attempt at removing the black plastic covering the stock windscreen holders Torx 30 bolts.  :745:

The new adjustable holder doesn't have this plastic panel.
New 390mm windscreen installed, going for a test drive next.

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Pro
  • Bike: BMW F850GS
  • Town / City: Białystok
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 03:29:58 PM »
Oh that sucks. I luckily managed to notice those were the push-pin style fasteners. (push rivet, push fastener, push pin)

Maybe 3d print some out? (But they should be too expensive...)
As for the fear of falling...learn to love and cherish the experience. You want it. You need it. You can't wait for the next hit.

Offline jequ

• GS Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 01:13:10 PM »
I tried rotating, pushing, pulling using many tools but I couldn't get those out in one piece. Not sure what the right technique is.
Breaking the pins wasn't a problem in the end since the new GSA adjustable windscreen holder doesn't need them or that plastic cover.
I will just buy new ones If I ever need them :)

I'm happy with the new windscreen. I can actually hear my exhaust now while riding  :082:

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 04:46:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by jequ [+]
I tried rotating, pushing, pulling using many tools but I couldn't get those out in one piece. Not sure what the right technique is.
Breaking the pins wasn't a problem in the end since the new GSA adjustable windscreen holder doesn't need them or that plastic cover.
I will just buy new ones If I ever need them :)

I'm happy with the new windscreen. I can actually hear my exhaust now while riding  :082:

There is a pin in the center that spreads the base of the rivet (point) behind the panel. You need a small drift or punch (1/8") to drive or push the pin in through the rivet when it falls out the rivets will pull out with no problem... Just retrieve the pins from inside the box and reuse them.
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...