BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: New Tyres - Primarily for Tarmac  (Read 446 times)

Offline markcat7

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: York
New Tyres - Primarily for Tarmac
« on: April 11, 2021, 09:16:10 AM »
Hi
Thought I'd share my recent experience deciding on what tyres to go for on my F850 after the original tyres (Michelin Anakees) squared off at the rear at just under 6,000 miles.

Looking at some of the existing tyre threads, I;d hoped to go for Michelin Road Pilot 5's, as I'd had good experience of these on my previous GS1200, but they are not available in 850 tyre sizes, just the 750.

I've ended up going with Continental Trial Attack 3's and I have to say so far I'm very impressed.  They seem to offer plenty of grip and give lots of reassurance when cornering - I've not had the opportunity to try them in the wet yet, but will report back once I have.

One really good aspect is they don't require 'bedding in' to get rid of the releasing agent - they are ready for full use straight away.

Worth looking at if, like me, you don't intend doing any off-road.  In fact any off-roading I do will be the result of missing a breaking point and having an 'unplanned moment'!
Cheers
Mark
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 09:16:45 AM by markcat7 »

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Bellingham
Re: New Tyres - Primarily for Tarmac
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 09:15:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by markcat7 [+]
Hi
Thought I'd share my recent experience deciding on what tyres to go for on my F850 after the original tyres (Michelin Anakees) squared off at the rear at just under 6,000 miles.

Looking at some of the existing tyre threads, I;d hoped to go for Michelin Road Pilot 5's, as I'd had good experience of these on my previous GS1200, but they are not available in 850 tyre sizes, just the 750.

I've ended up going with Continental Trial Attack 3's and I have to say so far I'm very impressed.  They seem to offer plenty of grip and give lots of reassurance when cornering - I've not had the opportunity to try them in the wet yet, but will report back once I have.

One really good aspect is they don't require 'bedding in' to get rid of the releasing agent - they are ready for full use straight away.

Worth looking at if, like me, you don't intend doing any off-road.  In fact any off-roading I do will be the result of missing a breaking point and having an 'unplanned moment'!
Cheers
Mark
Road pilots are the best IMO, i've used many sets.
In terms of mileage, my current set of Trailmax Missions is looking like it might come close to the mileage I used to get with RP's. I'm over 6500 miles and the tread shows no signs of stopping so far.
Road grip is not as good as RP but so far it seems like the best enduro compatible analog.

Online Grizzlie

• GS Member
  • Bike: BMW F850GS
Re: New Tyres - Primarily for Tarmac
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 08:47:32 PM »
I started looking into the Pilot 5s for my 850 but couldn't find a front tire size... And your post confirmed what I feared, a lack there of. :(
As for the fear of falling...learn to love and cherish the experience. You want it. You need it. You can't wait for the next hit.