BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Quadlock on GSA 850  (Read 258 times)

Online purds

• GS Member
  • Town / City: PETERBOROUGH
Quadlock on GSA 850
« on: April 06, 2021, 08:07:37 AM »
Considering fitting Quadlock on my bike and asking those who have already done this exactly what brackets etc are required from Quadlock to get right angle for viewing phone. Iím guessing handlebar mount is best ?
Many thanks.

Offline Bizmarck

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Wellington
Re: Quadlock on GSA 850
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 05:28:41 PM »
I have handlebar mount fitted hard against steering clamp pointing 30degrees up on clutch side, vibration mount then wireless charger. fits in perfect phone can go vertical or horizontal with a galaxy note 10 plus. use to have it over the clamp but have added extra guards that fit over the standard flimsy BMW ones that makes that impossible, bar risers would also prevent that.

if you have a later iPhone with image stabiliser the anti vibration mount is a must or you will kill the camera on the phone iv added it for piece of mind to the mount as the note also has stabiliser in the  camera. no tears were shed over the loss of the I phone. got repaired by apple and replaced with a new phone as it was less than 2 weeks old and I got to sell it as a new sealed phone. this issue is not the mounts fault its the vibration from the bike and made worse by a flat spot in the tyre, also fixed under warranty though it took ages for the Tyre to arrive (2 months). the note was on there for more than a month before without any issues and still going strong just keep it in mind that apple system seems to be very fragile. the charger and anti vibration mounts (adapters) were fitted after so its not from the extra weight and neither were needed to make it work just nice to ride all day connected with the battery remaining full and not drains from bow connect. seems to be a fairly hungry app. apple 11 pro would lose 40% charge in 2h., note has a monster battery and does not get affected as badly but I prefer it fully toped up since the wind keeps it cool during charging. Im not a fan of their cases so opted to stick one on my otter box case had the same setup on my previous phone and never had an issue with it for almost 2 years. has to be dead in the middle of the phone or it won't charge as I discovered when I got the wireless charger on the bike. has no effect on the stand charger. now have the table top stand charger from quad lock but I found that to be a pain and have modded it it sits too tight on it and hard to get off, minus 3 of the legs of the clamp its much easier to use and not a two handed affair.

Hope this helps. My quad lock has been on 3 bikes now still going strong bit of a pain thill its worn a bit and you get use to the mount but once you get the hang of it its one handed fit and remove and solid mount.

Online purds

• GS Member
  • Town / City: PETERBOROUGH
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 05:58:55 PM »
Thanks for your reply Bizmarck.
So its just the handlebar mount you have and that fits fine with phone at right angle - no need for any spacers or extension arms that I see Quadlock offer?
I was aware of the vibration issue so would definitely go for the anti vibe mount. Not planning to use the charging mount as I thought id just run a charge lead from phone into the DIN socket next to the TFT.
Thanks again.

Hope all's well in NZ - planning a trip there in 2022 - all being well!

Offline Bizmarck

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Wellington
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 07:42:33 PM »
Only need the mount. Watch out thogh they do make a bicicle one as well below is the one you want. You dont need to use the centre arm if you want it to be a tighter fit but I liked it as you can mount it with zero blocking of the disply and still keep it vertical. Does not touch the tank or display when fully locked.

https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/Quad-Lock-Motorcycle-Mount/7104365?gclid=CjwKCAjwjbCDBhAwEiwAiudBy4G4XLWDwtS9TnUn2pRLIlA3uH4vLq_V8zLFaPfJeYV4j6x-BGkHABoCX94QAvD_BwE

If you end up this end of the big pond and get hungry there is always a steak near a piece of charcoal at my house.