Author Topic: DIY Vinyl Wrap  (Read 4823 times)

• Offline WorldCitizen   pt

• GS Member  ‐    41

Offline WorldCitizen

• GS Member
    • Bike: F850GS Rallye
    • Town / City: Palmela
    Re: DIY Vinyl Wrap
    Reply #20 on: May 10, 2022, 02.15 am
    May 10, 2022, 02.15 am
    Well, but that's a totally different matter. Around here they teach us to ride as if we are invisible and in some cases, actually hope they don't see you (in specific scenarios where you just need the car to keep doing what they are doing and not "try" to help, which usually doesn't). Also many drivers have some kind of anger issue against motorcycles, so I rather they won't see me either.  :003:

However, you're describing a pretty strict scenario too. Reflected light implies that there is light to be reflected. If it's really dark, then no color is actually very visible, specially mid-tone to dark colors (even if mixed, unless it's a mix of vivid complementary colors because the contrast "shocks" our brains) and behind a light source (no matter how dim). This applies to both gear and bike.
    Even considering that the back of my helmet is reflective white, my wife's helmet is all white and almost all our clothes aren't black (only my summer boots, summer jacket and gloves are), the overall is still pretty darn dark. Only special visibility gear counters this a bit and only if it get hit by lights (it should, at least from your beams). And regarding lights, my bike has LED kit which incoming cars usually complain about, I'm assuming yours too (or at least something decent).

Case in point: It's the same video, on the left white bike/car under the light's, on the right same when away from the lights. Only lights are visible.

On a different note, why were you on collision course?! Each one should have their own lane. If not due to some specific condition, it's the bikers responsibility to prevent stuff with defensive driving. You may not see him, but he should see you and if at risk or in doubt, if needed pull over and stop even. Whatever keeps him safe. He should never expect you to be the one avoiding him.

This being said, I don't mean to devalue your testimony (or change your mind about it). Different driving cultures, different behaviors and different experiences. You can't quantify how much safety you're gaining from the bike's color alone. But on a bike like ours, there's no argue that it's low compared to others. Only two 10x70cm color "strips" from the sides. It's like telling people not to buy white/grey cars because if you forget to turn lights on (and it happens often), you're invisible in foggy conditions (except unlike with night, lights only help a bit). Nobody cares and it's actually more common/serious problem.
    So in my case, I'm not making any gear/bike color decisions fully based on a hopeful marginal improvement to safety. My gear is mostly not black, for the same reason as my normal clothes. I also don't wear full black everyday to anywhere if I'm going by car or public transports.

I'm actually replacing my helmet for an all white one (because I like, because of heat and I did take into account it's more visible but it wasn't the deciding factor) and I might take reflective yellow/green vests if I'm on a trip that might require dark back roads late in the day, as I do agree that in those conditions it might help, specially if I need to get off the bike and there's no loss/harm in doing it.
    Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 02.24 am by WorldCitizen

• Offline SnoDrtRider   us

• GS Master  ‐    670

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
    • Bike: F850GS
    • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
    Reply #21 on: May 10, 2022, 12.31 pm
    May 10, 2022, 12.31 pm
    We were not on a "Collision Course"... He was in his lane and I was in mine we were just travelling in opposite directions toward each other. This was during daylight hours not at night. The bike simply was not noticeable under the shadows of the trees whether it be due to a poor headlamp or misadjusted headlamp.

The fact that both the bike and the rider were all black only compounded the visibility issue. Riders who blame drivers for accidents because the driver did not see them need to do their part in making themselves visible.
    I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

• GS Member  ‐    41

Offline WorldCitizen

• GS Member
    Reply #22 on: May 10, 2022, 01.08 pm
    May 10, 2022, 01.08 pm
    Ah my bad then, I misunderstood the situation.

Bikes will always have lower visibility no matter what (e.g. we don't have rear fog lights, we are smaller/narrower, it's harder to judge speed, etc, even horns are weaker). But I agree with you to a very big extent.
    I don't need/want to be visible 100% of the time, but when I do, having proper lights is fundamental. My perception is that lights and a good horn are probably 70 to 90 % of our visibility. I just don't care about the other 5% (random guess, we have no way to measure this) that the color of these panels might bring to the table.

At least around here, cagers not seeing us, has very little to do with anything you might do. People skip blinkers all the time and they don't use mirrors and drive around with their heads on their phones. So unless you stay behind them honking until they look... And if you do, then they'll get offended and cut you off anyways.

But once more, cultures, people, etc. In Spain I've always felt safe, in Netherlands also (although they seem to drive a lot faster than spanish) and I don't think I'd dare to drive my motorcycle in the center o Paris without prior experience driving a car and good knowledge of the streets/roads.  :008:
    Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 01.09 pm by WorldCitizen

• Offline richardbd   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    121

Offline richardbd

• GS Pro
    • Town / City: London
    Reply #23 on: May 15, 2022, 02.02 pm
    May 15, 2022, 02.02 pm
    *Originally Posted by WorldCitizen [+]

I'm actually replacing my helmet for an all white one (because I like, because of heat and I did take into account it's more visible but it wasn't the deciding factor) and I might take reflective yellow/green vests if I'm on a trip that might require dark back roads late in the day, as I do agree that in those conditions it might help, specially if I need to get off the bike and there's no loss/harm in doing it.

There’s so much insulation in a helmet that I doubt a white one is any cooler than a black one TBH…

• GS Member  ‐    41

Offline WorldCitizen

• GS Member
    Reply #24 on: May 15, 2022, 02.34 pm
    May 15, 2022, 02.34 pm
    *Originally Posted by richardbd [+]
    There’s so much insulation in a helmet that I doubt a white one is any cooler than a black one TBH…

It shouldn't be significant, no.. Given two of the same helmet, same level of ventilation and same level of insulation, laws of physics make it an indisputable fact that the white one will be cooler, but almost for sure not enough for us to actually feel the difference. Probably only to touch, on the outside. Ventilation design for sure makes a lot more difference.

The actual main reason is just because I like the color, everything else (if there's actually any) is just a bonus. All my summer specific gear is actually black and clothes color should make a lot more difference than helmet color, because there's no insulation. The jacket is actually mesh. Same goes for my vented black leather Revit Sand 4 gloves and black TCX vented boots. In my area it's common to go over 40ºC in the summer and anything above 35º you might just face the fact you'll suffer and stop trying, it's a point where non-vented gear actually feels cooler than vented.

But this is the problem with much of motorcycle "knowledge". People debate it a lot, most are myths and the ones that aren't barely have any significance. So just go with whatever you actually like/enjoy.
    Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 02.35 pm by WorldCitizen

• Offline richardbd   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    121

Offline richardbd

• GS Pro
    • Town / City: London
    Reply #25 on: May 15, 2022, 02.38 pm
    May 15, 2022, 02.38 pm
    *Originally Posted by WorldCitizen [+]
    …this is the problem with much of motorcycle "knowledge". People debate it a lot, most are myths and the ones that aren't barely have any significance. So just go with whatever you actually like/enjoy.

:0461:

better