BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Looking for a shorter sidestand  (Read 1374 times)

Online Oldplodder

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850 GS Sport + bits
  • Town / City: Buckley
Looking for a shorter sidestand
« on: March 05, 2021, 07:55:13 PM »
I am wondering if any of the F750GS owners would be kind enough to measure their sidestand and let me know the length from the centre of the pivot point to the extreme end of the sidestand please.
The sidestand on my F850GS is too long -straight one and I am looking to see if a F750GS stand would do the trick for me.
I have been looking for a cranked over F850GS stand unsuccessfully for a time now.

Dave T
I wish I was as good as my dog thinks I am

Offline Tioli

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS HP Special
  • Town / City: Tasmania
Re: Looking for a shorter sidestand
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 08:00:26 AM »
I had a go at measuring it but have some difficulty as it has a big foot on it plus I'm sporting an eye injury at the moment.

Best I could do is with the side stand up from the base of the plastic cover over the pivot bolt to the bottom of the straight section is about 215mm

Another measurement would be good
Hindsight is a terrible way to learn Iíd rather be gifted

Online Oldplodder

• GS Pro
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 09:29:50 AM »
Tioli,

Thanks for that . I will wait to see if anyone else can confirm it as you suggest.

Dave T

Online tomcat

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Sport.
  • Town / City: Gisburn
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 11:20:59 AM »
Hi, unless you have a lowered suspension variant of the 850GS, the 750GS side stand will prove far too short.
How old is your bike? I managed to get mine changed for the later, angled side stand, foc at my BMW dealership about 12 months after buying my 850.
If it aint broke, keep fixing it until it is!

Online Oldplodder

• GS Pro
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 11:50:23 AM »
Hi tomcat,

I am second owner of the bike and have already tried my BMW dealership for a bent stand - Unsuccessfully!
I was hoping to save too much messing by swapping for a F750 stand as in 'Road' mode the bike is practically vertical when on the side stand, and takes the slightest touch to send it over onto the wrong side, which luckily, I have caught everytime so far.
I have to have it 'Dynamic' mode when parked, which lifts the rear enough to give it a couple of degree extra lean, but still worryingly close to vertical and probably not enough when there is an adverse camber or a strong sidewind from the wrong direction.
Looks like I will have to get a local firm to 'cut and shut' the sidestand.

Dave T

Online tomcat

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Sport.
  • Town / City: Gisburn
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 12:43:47 PM »
Conversely there will be a GSA owner thinking his bike leans far too far over on his angled stand that would be keen to gain your straight one.
If it aint broke, keep fixing it until it is!

Offline Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 01:17:32 PM »
Oldplodder - Ask another dealer. Itís a known design fault (BMW changed it!) and stands have been swapped out. If the selling dealer refuses, ask them if they accept liability if the bike rolls off its stand. Give them something legal-looking. Also escalate to BMW Uk and highlight with photos. Donít give in - they need to accept that it should be replaced FOC. Trading standards might also have something to say.
On the flip side... the F850GS I had leant over a bit too far for me, especially parking up on any kind of camber...

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Pro
  • Bike: BMW F850GS
  • Town / City: Białystok
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 11:23:35 PM »
I was wondering this the other day. My side stand is closer to 30cm from pivot to base(!). And after putting an aftermarket enlargement to the stand's foot I have to really watch where I park in order to not tip the other way. Even roads are ok, but inclines are a no-no.

Are you guys saying BMW has been replacing these with shorter versions?
As for the fear of falling...learn to love and cherish the experience. You want it. You need it. You can't wait for the next hit.

Offline WorldCitizen

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS Rallye
  • Town / City: Palmela
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 01:01:27 PM »
Talked to BMW dealer here in the area, no luck regarding replacing the side stand. They were helpful but limited to reply that the system doesn't show any special service for my plate/VIN number.

I'm sending an e-mail do BMW Europe and see if I get some luck. Maybe they'll issue a recall for my bikes series.

If no luck, I'll talk to a local smith to see if they can bend the tube a little and change the angle of the foot (maybe even put a wider one while they're at it).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 01:02:38 PM by WorldCitizen »

Offline RobsGS

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Newmarket
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 04:49:50 AM »
Iíve gone the same route as you.  My bike sits way too upright and I saw something that said BMW would cover the cost as itís a design error.  I contacted BMW CanadaÖno dice.   Iíll pay the $250 for a new bent one.   I figure itíd cost more than that if it topples over.