BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Dynojet Power Commander  (Read 1442 times)

Offline TeamFreuchen

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: BMW F850 GS
  • Town / City: Frederikshavn
Dynojet Power Commander
« on: March 01, 2021, 10:58:00 AM »
I have a F850GS and considering investing in a Power commander from Dynojet, has anyone installed this and what's your experience? :305:

https://www.dynojet.com/power-commander-v-2019-bmw-f850gs-12-026/

Offline MikeOC

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F-750 GS
  • Town / City: Spokane, WA
Re: Dynojet Power Commander
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 05:58:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by TeamFreuchen [+]
I have a F850GS and considering investing in a Power commander from Dynojet, has anyone installed this and what's your experience? :305:https://www.dynojet.com/power-commander-v-2019-bmw-f850gs-12-026/

Sorry, I have NO experience. However I like the benefits of the Dynojet, but I'm reluctant to get one based on the possibility of voiding my factory warranty?!?

Offline knutk

• GS Member
  • Town / City: South in Norway
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 06:45:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by TeamFreuchen [+]
I have a F850GS and considering investing in a Power commander from Dynojet, has anyone installed this and what's your experience? :305:

https://www.dynojet.com/power-commander-v-2019-bmw-f850gs-12-026/

No experience with the Power Commander. But be aware of the statement that it is for the 2019 F850.
The 2019 F850 are Euro4, while the 2020  and on are Euro 5. The major difference is that the Euro 5 bikes are equipped with a Wideband O2 sensor rather than a Narrowband type, as used on the Euro4 engine.

Intercepting the WB O2 sensor is very different from intercepting the NB sensor. Hence the 2019 statement.

If you decide to go for it, please share your experience, as there  :001:

Offline Tioli

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS HP Special
  • Town / City: Tasmania
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 11:14:06 AM »
I have used power commanders on other bikes basically how they work is if you add a less restrictive part like pipe, link pipe, uni filter open up the air box etc you can add more fuel to compensate for the leaner effect. Having said the the OEM system has the capacity to adjust to a degree as you would expect for high altitude, cold weather.  Our motors run lean so adding a little is kind to the motor anyway so never hurts.  They can only add never take away so itís safe and you would notice a slight difference. Can also be adjusted to increase initial squirt like an accelerator pump for more kick.
Wonít do that much for a 750 as they are restricted with ignition curve you have to chip those.
Hindsight is a terrible way to learn Iíd rather be gifted

Offline knutk

• GS Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 08:06:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tioli [+]
I have used power commanders on other bikes basically how they work is if you add a less restrictive part like pipe, link pipe, uni filter open up the air box etc you can add more fuel to compensate for the leaner effect. Having said the the OEM system has the capacity to adjust to a degree as you would expect for high altitude, cold weather.  Our motors run lean so adding a little is kind to the motor anyway so never hurts.  They can only add never take away so itís safe and you would notice a slight difference. Can also be adjusted to increase initial squirt like an accelerator pump for more kick.
Wonít do that much for a 750 as they are restricted with ignition curve you have to chip those.

Not to be picky, but the ECU does not compensate a little bit. It compensates completely, and it's ability to add extra fuel, if needed, is to such an extent that  if O2 signals are over-ridden, the engine will run so rich that it smokes like an old diesel. So there is no technical reason to mess with the fueling for the sake of protecting the engine.
Also, at wide open throttle (WOT) the ECU richen up the fuel to such an extent that given even more fuel will show next to nothing  of extra HP.

Even so, for regular driving, the engine runs lean. Not harm-ful lean, but lean enough to where a bit of extra will make the engine run even sweeter.

Offline kariudo

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: Killingworth
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 06:09:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by knutk [+]
Not to be picky, but the ECU does not compensate a little bit. It compensates completely, and it's ability to add extra fuel, if needed, is to such an extent that  if O2 signals are over-ridden, the engine will run so rich that it smokes like an old diesel. So there is no technical reason to mess with the fueling for the sake of protecting the engine.
Also, at wide open throttle (WOT) the ECU richen up the fuel to such an extent that given even more fuel will show next to nothing  of extra HP.

Even so, for regular driving, the engine runs lean. Not harm-ful lean, but lean enough to where a bit of extra will make the engine run even sweeter.

So your analysis/opinion here is in short that you won't get any more HP out of the addition, but that it might make it a bit snappier with the additional fuel flow and generally make the engine happier/smoother at the expense of a bit of fuel efficiency?

Offline knutk

• GS Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 09:15:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by kariudo [+]
So your analysis/opinion here is in short that you won't get any more HP out of the addition, but that it might make it a bit snappier with the additional fuel flow and generally make the engine happier/smoother at the expense of a bit of fuel efficiency?

That is correct.
I have never used a powercommander, but from what I understand, the PC richen up according to it's own built in map. And the added fuel for each 'box' in the map is  a fixed value.

Personally I'm in favour of the AF-XIED, but I'm not sure if the connectors are compatible with previous BMW models. But I do have one laying around, and I plan to check if it fits. AF-XIED manipulates the O2 signal, and richen up the mixture in a fully controlled mannor, based on feedback from the O2 sensor
That said, I don't really have any complaints for the fueling on my -19 GSA, but a bit more fuel will never hurt.

I used  O2 manipulation on my -15 GSA, and difference was in it's ability to be driven in 6'th gear down to 2K rpm without hesitation. Also, when accelerating, where opening the throttle used to be a steady push, it now started with a kick. Even so, this was the initial response, and I don't think the bike was any quicker as such, but it felt good  :001:

Offline kariudo

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: Killingworth
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 09:28:26 PM »
I'd be interested in the results if you manage to get it hooked up, I can't say anything is "wrong" currently, but I'd certainly be happy with a bit more "kick" at certain times... plus a little more fuel might help with the backpressure change caused by deleting the resonator, that box just weighs so much and it looks better without it too haha, but I can't help but think it cost me a little low end by removing the back pressure.

Offline knutk

• GS Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 09:46:36 PM »
I'll keep you posted

Offline TeamFreuchen

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: BMW F850 GS
  • Town / City: Frederikshavn
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 11:02:13 PM »
I have bought one, will install it as soon as I am back home after a business trip. Will keep you updated.