BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: How many miles /Km will the OEM chain last?  (Read 622 times)

Offline flyred

• GS Member
  • Bike: 2021 F850GSA
  • Town / City: Burien
How many miles /Km will the OEM chain last?
« on: February 20, 2021, 01:23:31 AM »
My F800GSA OEM chain was trash after about 6000 miles. Has anyone worn out a F850GS OEM chain? How long did it last?

Offline Dazi

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: ANK
Re: How many miles /Km will the OEM chain last?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 03:52:02 PM »
Chain & sprocket are close to 12000kms since purchase and show no sign of wear, degreased and lubed every 500 - 1000 kms. I also have scottoiler on it but i keep cleaning my chain anyway.
My bike spends most of it's life on asphalt and garage though :034:

On a side note; i just checked your thread on Advforums and thoroughly enjoyed reading about your travels - amazing pictures too!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 04:13:17 PM by Dazi »

Offline flyred

• GS Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 04:34:11 PM »
Thanks! Im waiting for borders to reopen then the 850 will be on the road for a 20,000 mile trip hopefully

Offline Dazi

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: ANK
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 04:51:07 PM »
Since you do a lot of mileage maybe you should consider Scottoiler. BMW sells one.
It throws some oil on your rear wheel if you set it to high, but i think a useful mod for the type of riding you do.

Some of your posts gave me goosebumps, wow what an amazing adventure.
Good luck on your journeys i will definitely be following.

Offline flyred

• GS Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 05:34:13 PM »
I had a Scott Oiler on the F800. I have been debating about putting one on the 850 which is why I was asking about chain mileage. My first Scott oiler crapped itself on the first week of my RTW in a small town in Siberia. It was really hard to find chain lube out there. Scott is making an electric version now which would be easy to install, but then that little electric oil pump could crap itself too...

Offline flyred

• GS Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 07:34:52 PM »
I should clarify. The first one crapped by dumping the entire tank of oil after working well during the pre ride testing. My BMW dealer replaced that one under warranty. The second one has worked perfectly over the last 5 years. 

Offline gastropod

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 10:21:33 PM »
BMW replaced mine at 19.1k kms, it was at the 20k service and I'm pretty sure I still had mileage on it. I went for a 6k roadtrip to France so figured better to have it changed. I wasn't a particularly meticulous chain cleaner/luber either and yet it lasted.

Re Scottoiler, personally I don't find de-greasing and lubing the chain that annoying, so happy to live without an accessory (as useful as it may be). One less thing to have issues with. But that's just me obvs.

Congrats on your travels by the way, I have the links on my list to check out. Where will you be going next?

Offline flyred

• GS Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 03:44:40 AM »
Next trip. Plan A is a zig zag route around South America. There are several borders still closed though so I can only go as far as the Costa Rica border. Things are improving rapidly though

Offline gastropod

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 06:43:29 PM »
Nice! They should open soon, fingers crossed. I wanted to do Chile North to South and maybe hang around in Argentina, but Covid put that back on the shelf, so now I'll just play by ears, see what will be open for riding closer to home and how much time I'll have.

Offline flyred

• GS Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 07:58:47 PM »
South America is huge. Bigger than I planned when I rode 7,000 miles and only went to Colombia, Ecuador and Peru. The real problem there is the roads twist so much, you are frequently in 1st gear and are lucky to go 150 miles a day. Colombia is especially bad for that and all the heavy trucks are also on those roads, so passing is really difficult. Chile and Argentina are very modern countries and speak "real" Spanish too.