BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Invest in Vario panniers ?  (Read 464 times)

Online Dazi

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: ANK
Invest in Vario panniers ?
« on: February 18, 2021, 08:36:37 PM »
I have Vario Top-case on my bike which i like.
I plan on doing some moto camping / touring this spring and would like to have additional storage.
How much do you think will these panniers add to the value of the bike if i decide to sell at some point ?
I need online support from strangers to justify 800.Euro purchase please :038:

Thanks.

Offline Yorks_Rider

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
Re: Invest in Vario panniers ?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 05:16:36 AM »
Second-hand value will depend on age and condition, but extras will depreciate much faster than the bike itself. I would not expect to get more than 50% of the new price selling the panniers second hand, even if they almost brand new. The vario panniers for the F750/850 also fit on a limited number of other BMW models, so there may be a chance that you could transfer your vario panniers to your next bike, although this may not work out.
Perhaps you may want to consider buying a set of panniers which are a more universal fitting, which you may be able to transfer to your next bike more easily.
Alternatively, why do you not look for a set of newish second-hand varios? This will reduce your losses if you decide to sell them again later.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 05:19:28 AM by Yorks_Rider »

Online Dazi

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: ANK
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 09:18:07 PM »
Thanks Yorks_Rider,

I have found few sets of used panniers in acceptable condition, but most of them are silver plated with 1200gs logos.
I will keep looking for luggage options or go with textile soft bags but they are not cheap either.
Such an expensive hobby. I wish i had the skills / knowledge to make motorcycle accessories, there seems to be a lot of money in this business.

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 10:38:41 PM »
The Vario panniers for any version of the R1200GS LC will also fit the F750GS/850GSS

Offline gastropod

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 03:05:02 PM »
Hi Dazi,

I agree with Yorks_Rider, resale value will depend a lot on condition and also what is out on the market at that time. I hesitated too at the time, then waited until they were 20'% off and bought them new. Never regretted it. It's Beemer, so they will always be expensive, but I find them practical especially with their variable width. Alternatively you may want to think about getting some reckless soft luggage options, though these might require the tail to be used for mounting (unsure).

If you buy used, check the Vario mechanism, they can get wobbly with time or after crash.

Online richardbd

• GS Member
  • Town / City: London
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 06:46:24 PM »
Putting price to one side (and I agree that around 50% of new price is about right for good condition 2nd hand ones) the choice of panniers is all about trade-offs.

Varios integrate beautifully with the bike.  No frames, lock matched to bike key etc.  On the downside, they are crazily heavy because of the vario mechanism and exhaust shield.  Theyíre not that big unless extended and then they look clumsy.  They side load, which is less convenient than top load and they do not take very well to being crashed on - they disintegrate.

For a GS as a road bike, Iíve always gone for varios.  For my 850 that will be doing some proper long-distance dual-sport riding, Iím going for Bumot Defender aluminium boxes. 

I did but a vario top box though for when Iím riding in the UK...