BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Rear Suspension Modification  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Moony

• GS Junior Member
Rear Suspension Modification
« on: January 29, 2021, 07:55:25 PM »
Hello,
I have the standard rear shock on my f850gs model and I want to change it to ESA
Does anyone if itís possible? And how is it done?
I have purchased the item and I am not sure it have to change anything else in order for it to fit
Thanks

Offline MCMXCIVRS

• GS Member
  • Town / City: CALGARY
Re: Rear Suspension Modification
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 03:10:49 PM »
I doubt it's possible or practical to add ESA. There's a lot more involved than just the shock and would require a lot of other components to make it work. Easier to trade to a bike with the option if its really important to you.

Offline richardbd

• GS Member
  • Town / City: London
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 05:35:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS [+]
I doubt it's possible or practical to add ESA. There's a lot more involved than just the shock and would require a lot of other components to make it work. Easier to trade to a bike with the option if its really important to you.

I suspect thatís right.  The non-esa bike will likely have none of the sensors, controls or wiring to accept the ESA shock...

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 10:02:01 PM »
The ESA also uses a height sensor mounted/linked to the swing arm which tells the computer the position and amount of movement of the swing arm in order to adjust ride height (spring preload) as well as damping. 
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline Yorks_Rider

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 08:30:08 AM »
If you can do so, I would recommend returning the components you have bought and get the money refunded.
Unfortunately, it is not a "plug and play" exercise replacing one shock absorber by another of a different type. There are some extras which you can fit later without too much trouble, but ESA is definitely not one of them. You are still missing the rest of the hardware and software needed in order to get the ESA to work and obtaining and fitting it would be prohibitively expensive.
If you really want ESA the only sensible choice is to sell your bike and buy another one which has it fitted already.