BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Chain Adjustment  (Read 538 times)

Offline purds

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: PETERBOROUGH
Chain Adjustment
« on: January 20, 2021, 01:18:26 PM »
Recently went form a 1200GSA to an 850GHSA so having to get used to chains all over again.

I find the owners manual wording regarding chain adjustment quite confusing so though I would ask advice.
The manual gives slack figure of 40-50 mm for normal suspension or 35-45 mm for the factory lowered suspension, both figures with the bike having no weight and on its side stand. However, the picture showing how to check the slack simply says 'on its stand' and the illustration shows the bike clearly on its centre stand.

Can you guys tell me how you actually measure the slack and what your interpretation of the manual is?

Cheers

Offline doebag

• GS Pro
  • Town / City: Norfolk Blood Biker
Re: Chain Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 01:59:35 PM »
That's not how I read it.
The picture shows the sidestand retracted, but no illustration of a centre stand. I think it's illustrating that the wheel needs rotating to the point of lowest sag

I think all models do not have a centre stand as standard, plus there needs to be a certain amount of weight on the back wheel.
'Dying a'int much of a living' Outlaw Josey Wales

Offline BigmanMoto

• GS Member
  • Bike: 2020 F850GSA
  • Town / City: Milan
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 06:26:42 PM »
Mine is still <250miles but I plan to see if I can do a correlation between slack on the side stand and center stand.  On the CS it will need to be more than spec due to the suspension position vs loaded.  Long term my preference is to do it on the center stand.  We will see what happens.   

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 11:31:18 PM »
The longest distance between the Countershaft sprocket and the rear axle center line is when the CS sprocket, swing arm pivot and the rear axle align. If you can compress the suspension to this point either via load (weight) or mechanical means (Ratchet strap, etc.) you can make the chain snug (within reason) when you let the tension or weight off and the suspension returns to it's normal static position you can then measure the slack required on the side or center stand in order to not be too tight at maximum swingarm length.   
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline purds

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: PETERBOROUGH
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 10:00:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by BigmanMoto [+]
Mine is still <250miles but I plan to see if I can do a correlation between slack on the side stand and centre stand.  On the CS it will need to be more than spec due to the suspension position vs loaded.  Long term my preference is to do it on the center stand.  We will see what happens.   

Actually this is what I did yesterday. My bike has around 1300 miles on it and I compared the slack on both CS and Side stand - there was zero difference, both figures being at the lower end of slack specified in the handbook. This would seem to suggest it makes no difference which stand the bike is on.