BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Trying to find the right GPS bracket?  (Read 4778 times)

Offline knutk

• GS Member
  • Town / City: South in Norway
Re: Trying to find the right GPS bracket?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2021, 10:06:38 PM »
Thank you for your explanations. And just for the record, I'm asking to learn, not to prove you wrong, as there is no doubt in my mind that you would not buy the extra parts unless you had to.

Anyway, here is a link to the picture that makes me not understand. https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0B08-EUR---K80-BMW-F%20750%20GS%20(0B08,%200B18)&diagId=46_2050

The bracket would be fastened to the two top #6 bolts?, Is that correct?  :012:

Offline Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2021, 10:23:11 PM »
Yes. If you look at the top edge of the screen mount you can see that it’s flat and fits flush to the mounting clips on the bike. The GPS mount is designed to go underneath the screen mount, but as you can see there’s no room. The adjustable mount has two half-moon cutouts to accommodate the GPS mount. Hope this helps?

Offline knutk

• GS Member
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2021, 10:30:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Matty589 [+]
Yes. If you look at the top edge of the screen mount you can see that it’s flat and fits flush to the mounting clips on the bike. The GPS mount is designed to go underneath the screen mount, but as you can see there’s no room. The adjustable mount has two half-moon cutouts to accommodate the GPS mount. Hope this helps?

I see. Thank you for clarifying  :062:

You see, the thing is, when mounted on my 850, i fitted the bracket on top of the screen mount... Probably not correct, but it works...

Offline Matty589

• GS Pro
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2021, 08:41:10 AM »
Hmm yes, I think the adjustable screen mount goes first, then the gps mount above. I tried that on my 750gs with the stock screen mount but the holes are recessed and the GPS mount would not fit - it fouled to the top edge of the screen mount, and the press fit cover wouldn’t have mounted on top either. I didn’t try it on the 850 but as the screen mount is basically the same (just longer arms to take a screen with holes slightly further apart) I don’t think it would be any different. I thought you had an 850GSA? In any case it won’t affect new 850GS as they come with the adjustable mount now as standard. Quite annoying really as BMW charges for both the TFT and the screen mount on the 750GS, but they’re FOC in the 850s...

Offline knutk

• GS Member
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2021, 09:43:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by Matty589 [+]
Hmm yes, I think the adjustable screen mount goes first, then the gps mount above. I tried that on my 750gs with the stock screen mount but the holes are recessed and the GPS mount would not fit - it fouled to the top edge of the screen mount, and the press fit cover wouldn’t have mounted on top either. I didn’t try it on the 850 but as the screen mount is basically the same (just longer arms to take a screen with holes slightly further apart) I don’t think it would be any different. I thought you had an 850GSA? In any case it won’t affect new 850GS as they come with the adjustable mount now as standard. Quite annoying really as BMW charges for both the TFT and the screen mount on the 750GS, but they’re FOC in the 850s...

You are correct, I was just sloppy in my description.
However. they share the same components. But I guess the stock screen is the adjustable one on the GSA... Even so, I fitted the bracket on top of it.

Sorry for my inacurate description.... It will happen again  :034:   :012:  :002:

Offline Matty589

• GS Pro
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2021, 01:57:02 PM »
Ah OK. Yes, so to be clear:
GPS mount fits either 2021 850GS/GSA as stock
750GS will need the adjustable screen mount to be fitted to be compatible
The adjustable screen mount attaches to the structure of the bike, and the GPS mount goes on top.

Offline coldclearsea

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Edmonton
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2021, 06:28:25 PM »
Throwing my experience in here for anyone that might find it useful. I've had the Hornig mount on my F850GS for a couple weeks, and the vibration makes the display nearly unreadable much of the time. I contacted Hornig to discuss and the told me of course it will vibrate, just don't ride on bumpy roads... Which, considering their product description says "no vibration" in big bold font, was not a really acceptable response as far as I'm concerned. Wish the BMW emergency services one would fit as is, but buying the adjustable windscreen kit on top of the bracket sends that cost up quite a bit. May just try the cheap EBay one next.

Offline Dab19850gs

• GS Member
  • Bike: f850gs
  • Town / City: Scugog
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2021, 07:11:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by coldclearsea [+]
Throwing my experience in here for anyone that might find it useful. I've had the Hornig mount on my F850GS for a couple weeks, and the vibration makes the display nearly unreadable much of the time. I contacted Hornig to discuss and the told me of course it will vibrate, just don't ride on bumpy roads... Which, considering their product description says "no vibration" in big bold font, was not a really acceptable response as far as I'm concerned. Wish the BMW emergency services one would fit as is, but buying the adjustable windscreen kit on top of the bracket sends that cost up quite a bit. May just try the cheap EBay one next.

Thanks for your experience with the Hornig....I will stay away from it.  Parts are way expensive for the mount, and the adjustable windscreen kit...Not far from a 1,000.00 by the time tax is figured in.  More than I want to spend to put GPS in a position it should be IMO from factory.  I have turned by GPS bracket around 180 degrees so that it is now offsetting the GPS screen further towards the TFT which at least lets me see it over the tank bag.

Online Oldplodder

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850 GS Sport + bits
  • Town / City: Buckley
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2021, 07:17:24 PM »
I have the cheap Chinese bracket that puts the Sat-nag over the TFT screen on my F850GS, and whilst I don't ride off road, I do ride on our shockingly under-maintained roads and do not suffer from vibration despite the best efforts of some to these roads to test the Dynamic suspension to its fullest extent!

For the cost of the bracket it may well be worth trying it.

Dave T
I wish I was as good as my dog thinks I am

Online SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2021, 01:37:21 AM »
The bracket I built for $20 (US) does not vibrate... The only thing I would change is the fact that the lock mechanism hits the bar and does not allow the GPS to pivot any lower which depending on the sky conditions sometimes results in bad glare on the screen,,,

I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...