BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: It's here, it's here...  (Read 1165 times)

Offline BigmanMoto

• GS Member
  • Bike: 2020 F850GSA
  • Town / City: Milan
Re: It's here, it's here...
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 01:17:43 PM »
@AdvBikeKev....nice ride.   Totally forgot to mention the side stand enlarger.  The weld bead vs the base plate that contacts the ground are making it a challenge to fit one on my GSA.  Still working on that aspect.

Online richardbd

• GS Member
  • Town / City: London
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 02:11:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by AdvBikeKev [+]
Congratulations. I took delivery of my 40th Anniversary F850 GSA  on Thursday 7 Jan. Here is a pic of my new steed.

If your plan is to do some long distance touring, then I am surprised you went for the GS and not the GSA for the larger tank and added range. I recently upgrade form a 2019 850 GS to the GSA and the difference in range is pretty incredible.

- Assuming you got the Nav system, I recommend the relocation bracket to put above the TFT.
- Mobile phone mount - I can personally recommend the QuadLock mount with Motorcycle Charging Head
- Quick shifter protection
- Soft Luggage (side panniers and duffle / top box) - I personally use Mosko Moto gear and love it
- Decent tool kit
- Compact Air compressor (suggest MotoPressor)
- Better windshield
- Radiator guard
- Bark Busters
- Side stand enlarger
- All the protection (lower and upper crash bars, bash plate)
- Headlight protection
- I second WHS' comment re Helinox Chair. I have the Helinox Sunset chair, has a higher back which offers more support

Post some pics when you take delivery

Will post pics when bike arrives home.

I'm coming from a 1200GS and opted against the 850 ADV because of weight.  Having ridden a Honda CB500X all the way for London to Beijing in 2019 and never needed to carry extra fuel, even across Tibet or through the Wakhan Valley, the additional range isn't worth the weight sacrifice to me.  It's a personal thing though and I do think the ADV looks great in the 40th colours.

On the Beijing ride we had an 850ADV with us that refused to sort every morning in Tibet until it ws given oxygen directly into the airbox.  Hope they've cured that by the time I get to Peru!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 02:43:45 PM by richardbd »

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Bellingham
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 02:27:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by richardbd [+]
Will post pics when bike arrives home.

I'm coming from a 1200GS and opted against the 850 ADV because of weight.  Having ridden a Honda CB500X all the way for London to Beijing in 2019 and never needed to carry extra fuel, even across Tibet or through the Wakhan Valley, the additional range isn't worth the weight sacrifice to me.  It's a personal thing though and I do think the ADV looks great in the 40th colours.

On the Beijing ride we had an 850ADV with us that refused to sort every morning in Tibet until it ws given oxygen directly into the airbox.  Hope they've cured that by the time I get to Peru!
I don't know what it's like with this bike at 10k and above. I've had the 2019 850gs at altitudes of up to 6-7k feet that I know of, it worked just fine. Hopefully your experiences will be similar, best of luck on your trip. Share some footage with us! :)

Offline WHS

• GS Member
  • Bike: 2019 BMW F850GSA
  • Town / City: Waitsburg
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2021, 07:19:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by BigmanMoto [+]
@AdvBikeKev....nice ride.   Totally forgot to mention the side stand enlarger.  The weld bead vs the base plate that contacts the ground are making it a challenge to fit one on my GSA.  Still working on that aspect.

I just went to the hardware store and found three small aluminum spacers and some new longer stainless mounting screws.   Then measured and cut the screw to fit and installed it all with loctite blue.  Has stayed on for one season so far and is still nice and tight. 

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
  • Bike: BMW F750GS 2020
  • Town / City: Dundee
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 10:15:55 AM »
Oh, that's purdy AdvBikeKev  :047:
-----------------------------------------
No Fate But What We Make

------------------------------------------

Offline Oldplodder

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850 GS Sport + bits
  • Town / City: Buckley
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 01:47:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by WHS [+]
I just went to the hardware store and found three small aluminum spacers and some new longer stainless mounting screws.   Then measured and cut the screw to fit and installed it all with loctite blue.  Has stayed on for one season so far and is still nice and tight.

Any chance of a photo so we can see what you have done please?

Dave T
I wish I was as good as my dog thinks I am

Offline Gazza750

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Adventure
  • Town / City: Yorkshire
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 10:17:34 PM »
AdvBikeKev - Looks awesome! Congrats, enjoy your new beastie, looks great 👍🏻